EVALUATION: Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

During the creation of all our music video productions, we considered each aspect of each product in every decision made towards each product. Creating a brand identity was very important to us as it was the basis of how we related each other our products to each other. During the editing process of the music video my partner heavily concentrated on the typeface of the video as she thought that it would be best if the typeface of the video and the typeface of the album cover and the advert where the same therefore we had to find a typeface that matched all three of those while still displaying the aesthetic look that we wanted and the message we wanted for our audience. Throughout the entire production process al three aspects were considered. All the way through the production process we created a brand identity for the three productions. We created a mood and a feeling for the three productions that correlated and ran through all three pieces. This was done purposely for the purpose of recognition, fluidity and an overall resolution throughout the products. To link our three productions, we included all three of the most important factors to each of them, the digital illustration (doodles), the fonts ad the mise-en-scene. We did this to reinforce the recognition of the music video, in relation to both the advert and the digital package.

In order to create this brand identity in our music video we had our model wear a memorably bright red puffer jacket throughout the video. The whole video included a wardrobe change but mainly the model wears a red jacket. This red jacket was used to draw similarities between the digipack, the album cover and the advert. This helped us build our brand identity as our audience begun identifying our content due to the red jacket. We also included the same font in the same colour. Through the process so of editing the video the font and the colour of the font changed many time, including from blue to green to eventually white. Through these changes came the changes through the digipack and the advert. When I created my mock up music video, digipack and advert I decided not to make the colour of my titles part of the brand identity as I felt that our audience would recognise the font and the jacket and associate it with the video and the album or vice versa, therefore making it unnecessary to have the same colour of the font. This gave me more liberty to explore other colour and other combinations of pattern and colour. With this I looked at what my agenda for the video was and explored colours that compliment that. I looked at green, yellow and white and the original blue and green. Through these colours I explored different possibilities for the ad and the music video, compared to limiting myself to the same colour for all three productions. I believe my I attempt in the creation of the digipack, music video and advert were quite successful precisely because of that. In our final products we used the same font, colour and jacket to help the audience identify the artist and the song. This helped the audience build a relationship with the artist and his artistic mentality. This can help build a relation between the artist and the audience, simply through the brand identity. I do however believe that f we had maybe changed things up a little bit within the three products the outcomes would have been significantly more effective and successful as our audience would be more interested in finding out all the different designs for the products. The reason we wanted to have the three products corelate was to help sell the main product which is the digipack. I believe that by creating all of these models that are quite entertaining to look at and admire we are creating an expectation for music that can be found on the digipack. The reason all of these products are even available is simply to sell the digipack to it is quite essential that the products complement the digipack and draw the audience into watching to find out more about the digipack and the music on it.

The genre of the music is communicated through the music video and the digipack and not so much through the advert, I would say. The music video contains elements that relate to the genre, such as doodles and the dancing that occurs in the music video. The position the model is standing in in the digipack I believe communicates an alternative RnB/rap vibe to the cover which I believe is the genre of the song and how it is portrayed throughout many music sites and other music channels and websites. The feel of the song is also quite alternative RnB therefore fully suiting the feel of the digipack. The look of the advert is quite simple and plain. I do not believe it helps portray the genre of the song due to the fact that it features flowers and a very simple font in white. This, to me, does not communicate RnB, Rap or Hip Hop. I do however believe that the digipack and the music video are sufficient to display the genre of the song and of the rest of the album.

In my attempt at creating both digipack and advert I believe I managed to portray the genre of the song and the album through the look, feel and aesthetic of the digipack and the ad. I created a digipack that was quite alternative and artsy. This is something that I got from the original artist himself and how he likes is cover art to be, I took a quite a lot of inspiration from the artist and came up with these responses. My digipack was quite simple but also quite intercut and interesting to look at. It involved optical illusions and distance using shadows on the fonts. I wanted the digipack to feel almost like a mini leaflet for the album. I wanted it to feel personalised but also very professional and simple; very complex and detailed. Throughout the digipack I believe I delivered my genre by having the images used in the digipack be quite alternative and abstract. I wanted it to feel very dainty and old but also very modern and polished. This represented rap, hip hop and RnB through the font, the images and the mise-en-scene. The font throughout the digipack is quite bulky and harsh. I chose this font because of the fact hat it gives me vintage vibes but also gives me a very sort of tough harsh vibe that to me perfectly portrays hip hop and rap. The take that Chance the Rapper has taken on the songs on the album are quite alternative and old school therefore I chose to implement that in the digipack by doing what I did. I used the images, the poses and the wardrobe to my advantage as the jacket that the model wears is quite representational of the 90s and that era of music. I wanted her to use this jacket to represent the music video but also to reference the era I wanted to reference. The poses she did are easily recognisable by 80s-90s rap enthusiasts as the poses that many rap bands and other RnB bands did on their album cover and other merchandise they had. These are quite iconic pose that many recognise as the “Jodeci pose” or the “Boys II Men album” pose, especially within millennials. All of these aspects I believe perfectly represented the genre of the song and the album. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis: J Cole - False Prophets (Music Video)

Practice Video: Music Video 1

Planning: The Process of Picking Songs